The State Council released the 2023 official public holidays in China on December 8, 2022, please check the official source here. There are six public holidays with 26 days, 11 of which fall on weekdays, eight are on weekends, and seven are switched from other weekend days.
Same as in previous years, there are two major long public holidays, and each takes seven or more days: Chinese New Year and National Day. Mid-Autumn Festival and National Day are two different celebrations in China, but they are celebrated together in 2023.
New Year Holiday
New Year Holiday is the first day of the year on the modern Gregorian calendar, and it is one of the most popular holidays in the world.
- The holiday lasts three days from December 31, 2022 to January 2, 2023;
- December 31, 2022 and January 1, 2023 are weekends;
- One day (January 2, 2022) falls on a weekday.
Chinese New Year
Chinese New Year, also called Spring Festival, is the most important time for the family union. Hundreds of thousands of people who work outside will go back to their hometowns to meet families and friends.
- The holiday lasts seven days, from January 21 to 27, 2023;
- January 21 and January 22, 2023 are weekends;
- January 28, 2023 (Saturday) and January 29, 2023 (Sunday) are adjusted working days;
- Three days fall on weekdays.
Ching Ming Festival
The festival is also called Tomb Sweeping Festival, a traditional Chinese festival observed in China and Southeast Asia. People visit and sweep ancestral tombs and make ritual offerings, typically food dishes, fruits, and the burning of joss sticks and spirit money.
- April 5, 2023, one day in total.
Labour Day is to celebrate the achievements of workers. The holiday originates in the eight-hour day movement, which is eight hours for work, eight hours for recreation, and eight hours for rest.
- The holiday lasts five days, from April 29 to May 3, 2023;
- April 29 and April 30 are weekends (Saturday and Sunday);
- April 23, 2023 (Sunday) and May 6, 2023 (Saturday) are adjusted working days;
- One holiday falls on a weekday.
Dragon Boat Festival
Dragon Boat Festival is a holiday based on the traditional Chinese calendar commemorating the death of Qu Yuan (340–278 BC), a poet and a reformer in the ancient state of Chu during the Warring States period.
- The holiday lasts three days, from June 22 to June 24, 2023;
- June 22 is on the weekend, and June 25, 2023 is adjusted working days;
- One holiday falls on a working day.
Mid-Autumn Festival and National Day
Mid-Autumn Festival is one of the most important festivals dating back 3,000 years, and mooncakes are the traditional food during the festival. National Day commemorates the formal establishment of the People's Republic of China on October 1, 1949. The two holidays will be celebrated together in 2023.
- The holiday lasts eight days from September 29 to October 6, 2023;
- September 30 and October 1 are weekends;
- October 7, 2023 (Saturday) and October 8, 2023 (Sunday) are adjusted holidays;
- Four days fall on working days.
The following is the list of public holidays in China in 2023.
|New Year's Day||Jan 01, 2023||Sunday||Weekend Holiday|
|New Year's Day||Jan 02, 2023||Monday||Public Holiday|
|Chinese New Year Eve||Jan 21, 2023||Saturday||Weekend Holiday|
|Chinese New Year||Jan 22, 2023||Sunday||Weekend Holiday|
|Chinese New Year Holiday||Jan 23, 2023||Monday||Public Holiday|
|Chinese New Year Holiday||Jan 24, 2023||Tuesday||Public Holiday|
|Chinese New Year Holiday||Jan 25, 2023||Wednesday||Public Holiday|
|Chinese New Year Holiday||Jan 26, 2023||Thursday||Weekend Switch|
|Chinese New Year Holiday||Jan 27, 2023||Friday||Weekend Switch|
|Qingming Festival||Apr 05, 2023||Wednesday||Public Holiday|
|Labour Day Holiday||Apr 29, 2023||Saturday||Weekend Holiday|
|Labour Day Holiday||Apr 30, 2023||Sunday||Weekend Holiday|
|Labour Day||May 01, 2023||Monday||Public Holiday|
|Labour Day Holiday||May 02, 2023||Tuesday||Weekend Switch|
|Labour Day Holiday||May 03, 2023||Wednesday||Weekend Switch|
|Dragon Boat Festival||Jun 22, 2023||Thursday||Public Holiday|
|Dragon Boat Festival||Jun 23, 2023||Friday||Weekend Switch|
|Dragon Boat Festival||Jun 24, 2023||Saturday||Weekend Holiday|
|Mid-Autumn Festival||Sep 29, 2023||Friday||Public Holiday|
|Mid-Autumn Festival||Sep 30, 2023||Saturday||Weekend Holiday|
|National Day||Oct 01, 2023||Sunday||Weekend Holiday|
|National Day Holiday||Oct 02, 2023||Monday||Public Holiday|
|National Day Holiday||Oct 03, 2023||Tuesday||Public Holiday|
|National Day Holiday||Oct 04, 2023||Wednesday||Public Holiday|
|National Day Holiday||Oct 05, 2023||Thursday||Weekend Switch|
|National Day Holiday||Oct 06, 2023||Friday||Weekend Switch|
The following weekends are working days:
|Jan 28, 2023||Saturday||Jun 25, 2023||Sunday|
|Jan 29, 2023||Sunday||Oct 07, 2023||Saturday|
|Apr 23, 2023||Sunday||Oct 08, 2023||Sunday|
|May 06, 2023||Saturday|
Please check references here or check working days in China in 2023.